By Isaac Husik
Read Online or Download A History of Medieval Jewish Philosophy PDF
Best judaism books
This e-book represents the 1st English translation of Maaseh Merkabah, that's a part of a physique of early Jewish mystical texts referred to as palace (hekhalot) or chariot (merkabah) texts. via a posh discussion, a rabbi-teacher finds to his scholar the thoughts of ascent, equipment for touring up during the heavens through recitation of hymns.
The Bloomsbury better half to Jewish stories is a entire reference consultant, supplying an summary of Jewish stories because it has built as an instructional sub-discipline. This quantity surveys the improvement and present kingdom of study within the huge box of Jewish reviews - concentrating on significant topics, methodologies, and different types of resource fabrics on hand.
Illustrates how the yankee Conservative stream in Judaism can proceed to prosper amidst ideological and institutional demanding situations. Viewing the Conservative circulate at a turning aspect, this publication analyzes the issues dealing with the non secular flow with the biggest synagogue club within the American Jewish group and descriptions a course of action for the longer term.
- Josiah's Reform and the Dynamics of Defilement: Israelite Rites of Violence and the Making of a Biblical Text
- The Jewish Study Bible: featuring The Jewish Publication Society TANAKH Translation
- Life in Year One: What the World Was Like in First-Century Palestine
- Forsaken: The Menstruant in Medieval Jewish Mysticism
Additional resources for A History of Medieval Jewish Philosophy
B. Ego has examined YHWH’s looking down from heaven in the Psalms (see Ps 11:4–5; 33:13–14, 18; 113:6; cf. also Isa 66:1–2) does not express the idea of a distant or transcendent God. To the contrary, God’s help for the righteous requires his dwelling in heaven (see below). Later on, with view to rabbinic texts, Ego states a more elaborated separation of God’s heavenly and earthly dwellings; cf. her “Von der Jerusalemer Tempeltheologie zur rabbinischen Kosmologie: Zur Konzeption der himmlischen Wohnstatt Gottes,” in Mitteilungen und Beiträge der Forschungsstelle Judentum der Theologischen Fakultät Leipzig 12/13 (1997): 47–51.
Chr. (München and Zürich: Artemis & Winkler, 1994), 89–90, who lists three aspects of the royal legitimation of Darius: affiliation to the Achaemenian kings and to the Persian people; Darius’ supremacy over the kings who ruled before him; the divine right of his kingdom. Of special relevance is the Bisutun inscription. See also J. H. , 2006), 47–49, and more detailed: G. Ahn, Religiöse Herrscherlegitimation im achämenidischen Iran: Die Voraussetzungen und Struktur ihrer Argumentation (Acta Iranica 31; Leiden: Brill, 1992); Gerstenberger, Israel, 45–51.
178. 24 Cf. B. Janowski, “ ‘Ich will in eurer Mitte wohnen:’ Struktur und Genese der exilischen Schekina-Theologie,” in Der eine Gott der beiden Testamente: Jahrbuch für Biblische Theologie. Vol. 2 (eds. I. Baldermann and N. Lohfink; Neukirchen-Vluyn: Neukirchener, 1987), 165–93; repr. ; Neukirchen-Vluyn: Neukirchener, 2004), 119–47. 25 Cf. Gen 24:3; Jonah 1:9; Dan 2:18–19, 28, 37, 44; Ezra 1:2; 5:12; 6:9–10; 7:12, 21, 23; Neh 1:4–5; 2:4, 20; 2 Chr 36:23; see also Ps 136:26: ;אל השמיםDan 4:34: מלך שמיא, and 5:23: ( מרא שמיאcf.
A History of Medieval Jewish Philosophy by Isaac Husik